February 27, 2014

Healthy (and Delicious!) Banana Muffins

 A couple of weeks ago I heard a presentation by Kami from NoDietsAllowed. I loved her common-sense, positive approach to a healthy lifestyle, including a healthy diet. She had some muffins to sample, along with a few other things I'm sure I'll feature later. The muffins were delicious and I knew I'd have to try a gluten free version.
After several days of super warm weather, today was cold and rainy all day long. So I decided to make the kids (and the husband) some warm muffins for an after school snack. They were a HUGE hit! I am also participating in Kami's Game-On Health Challenge (and loving it!) so I'm trying to eat healthy and limit my calories. I loved that I could fit some of these muffins into my plan today. I made a few changes, which are noted below. I ran out of honey, so used half honey and half sugar in the raw (I'm sure you could use brown or white sugar too, but honey's probably the most healthy and makes them extra moist).
 For the original, whole wheat recipe, click Here. While you're there, check out her site, it has loads of great information and recipes!

BANANA MUFFINS
adapted from NoDietsAllowed
*gluten free*soy free*dairy free
Pantry to Table in: 20-30 minutes
Makes: 48 mini muffins
Notes:
  • Use 1/2 cup applesauce, or 1/4 cup applesauce + 1 large egg, beaten. I used the egg to make it a little lower in sugar and help the gluten free muffin stay together. Applesauce would work great too though.
  • You can use 2 cups flour mix, or 1 1/2 cups flour mix and 1/2 cup cooked and cooled quinoa. You (and the kids!) won't even notice the quinoa taste or texture, but it gives your muffins a health boost! (I make a large batch and freeze extras in 1/2 cup portions)
  • Check out my flour mix recipe, I use it cup for cup in all my recipes and it works like wheat flour every time!
  • I also added 1/4 cup PB2 (powdered peanut butter) with the dry ingredients. Added a little extra protein but not much fat or calories and I honestly couldn't taste it (though I kind of wish the flavor would have come through more).
Ingredients:
2 cups gf flour mix OR 1 1/2 cups flour mix and 1/2 cup cooked and cooled quinoa
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1 T ground flax
2 bananas, pelled and mashed
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup honey or agave
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup milk of your choice (Kami used almond milk, I used 1%)
2 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions:
  1. Whisk together flour mix (add 1 tsp xanthan gum if your flour mix doesn't already have some), baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and flax in small bowl. Set aside.
  2. Whisk remaining ingredients in large bowl.
  3. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk until thoroughly combined. Batter should be farely thick, but if it appears too thick you can add a little more milk. Let batter sit while preheating oven.
  4. Preheat oven to 375.
  5. Generously spray 2 mini muffin tins with cooking spray, or line with paper liners. Or you could use regular muffin tins, if that's your thing.
  6. Fill muffin tins about 3/4 full. It may appear too full but it's not, the muffins will just rise straight up and come out beautiful! This recipe makes exactly 48.
  7. Bake for 7-9 minutes, (15-18 minutes if using regular muffin tin) until toothpick comes out clean.
  8. Let cool in pan for a few minutes before removing to wire rack. These are great warm or room temp, and can be refrigerated or frozen for longer storage. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. do you think i could use olive oil instead of canola oil?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure can! The original recipe actually calls for olive oil, we just prefer canola. Great question!

    ReplyDelete